As we zoom towards the end of the school year it suddenly dawned on me that very soon my little boys will be in year 3 and year 1 respectively. It is a daunting prospect as time is just flying by…. If you have a little one starting school in September you will probably be feeling this passing of time all the more keenly, but do not fear as I have two boys who are very wise about all matters school – they are 5 and 7 you know!! They thought it was important that they pass on their wisdom to the next reception class starting school in September. They suggested doing a handout, but we settled on a blog post in the interest of spreading their clearly invaluable insight to more people and in the interests of me not having to stalk unsuspecting parents of preschoolers in the area!
So here it is; Everything you need to know about starting school by a 5 and 7 year old.
- There is no fighting allowed (disturbingly this was the thing that they both offered as their first piece of advice so clearly this was a lesson drummed into them and we probably need a further discussion on this topic!!)
- You can’t say ‘bum bum head’ (It is sound advice, but again something that probably warrants further discussion….)
- Most of the time in reception you just play, but playing is learning too
- You will make lots of new friends
- You need to always be kind to one another
- If you don’t like what someone is doing you should say ‘No thank you I don’t like that’
- Sometimes you have to do harder things like forming your letters, but it is OK as the teachers help you
- Don’t worry about missing your mummy as you will be very busy and your mummy will collect you after school with a snack
- The teachers will be very kind and lovely to you
- You get to do lots of painting and crafts
- If you can’t do something the first time you can just try again and you can always ask for help
There you go that is it everything reception children need to know…. See mummies you were worrying for nothing it is quite simple and as long as they know these things how could they possibly go wrong…
I will be sharing some tips for you grown ups over the coming weeks, but if you want to get ahead of the game check out my post about morning routine hacks.