So 2018 is on its ways out imminently and I couldn’t welcome 2019 in without writing a post. I am not one for resolutions as such as I am not sure they really help, but at this time of year I do like to have a bit of a reflection on the past year and at least think about what I hope to give and achieve in the upcoming year. So before we start wishing one another Happy New Year I am going to take a little look back at 2018. There are some affiliate links in the post.
Things I have learnt about mothering
- I need to be more organised. Four little people is still a lot even though they are getting older and it is easier when I am organised and think ahead
- Taking time for me is not only ok, but is essential and makes me a better mother
- There is a me outside of them. As my girls have started nursery 2.5 days a week I have had time to myself and I have started to remember who I was and am without them around
- Twins are chaos unlike anything I experienced with two singleton toddlers. My boys are less than two years apart so I have had two toddlers before, but Lord above twin toddlers is another level of crazy
- One to One time is so vital. I find this so hard to achieve with 4 little people, but it makes such a positive difference to their behaviour and development that it is essential
Things I have learnt about blogging
- Despite starting my blog in 2012 I never actually promoted any of my writing. 2018 was the first time that I did this and I learnt that it isn’t so scary to actually let people read what I write
- Promotion of blog posts is work! I have learnt so much about twitter, pinterest, facebook and instagram and I feel like I spend more time on social media than actually writing. It seems that the nature of the beast is just that…
- It is important to find your blogging tribe. I love that the blogging community is so welcoming and so supportive to one another. I have learnt loads from reading other bloggers posts just about what works and what doesn’t and I have also loved getting to know and meet some great bloggers in 2018
- Sometimes brands waste your time… I have agreed prices and negotiated terms with brands only to have them just dissapear. The first time it happened I was so annoyed as I just couldn’t understand why anyone would waste my time or theirs in that way. I still think that it is downright rude to do this, but from reading bloggers forums I have learnt that is just something that happens. It is so irrigating though…
Things I am looking forward to in 2019
- My girls will start school in September and I am both looking forward to my new found daytime freedom and dreading the end of my time with babies at home. This has been my life for 8 years so it is scary that it is coming to an end, but exciting too I think…
- More writing and hopefully more opportunities will come my way for blogging, I have worked with some really fun brands this year and am looking forward to that continuing and increasing in 2019
- I am looking forward to a happy new year in so many ways. Fingers crossed we will be able to get some work completed on our house and after a few very hectic years of having babies be able to move into a more stable period of our lives both financially and emotionally
- I have written a fair bit about my little girl’s tough start in life and we are left with an ongoing issue with her having a narrowed airway. This winter we have had 3 A&E trips, but as she grows this should stop. We really hope that 2019 will be the year when we can finally put this stress behind us
- I always look forward to our summer holiday and 2019 is no different. I am already excited about it as I know how much fun we have and the older the kids get the more fun it is!
Changes I am planning for 2019
- I am finding ways to get more organised and the first of these is getting a family calendar with enough spaces for all 6 of us. I need to know who needs to be where and when…. AFFILIATE LINK:
- I am going to meal plan in 2019. It is something I tried this year, but I lost focus. When I did it I found it made a difference to the shopping budget and took away stress from my life. I am planning to share the meal plans with you all too
- In 2019 I plan to write more about women and the work place which would be a bit of shift in focus. It was hard for me to manage going back to work and tried a few ways of making it work, but ultimately working for myself was the only way for us. I have met loads of other women who are also working for themselves and so I am planning on writing a series about women making work work!
- I want to try mindfulness. Self care is so important and I feel like this is something that would really benefit me
- The other thing I am doing for me in 2019 is learning French well learning more French. I can get by, but it isn’t pretty…
- I would love to get a bit more focused in my approach to working. By this I mean I need to stop dipping in and out of working. It feels like I need to have set times when I am working and when I am not. This will certainly be easier once the girls are at school. I am thinking about making a schedule for my life as well as for the kids. By this I mean I want to plan out the days so I know when I am working, when I am doing the glamorous stuff like washing the sheets and cleaning.
- Everyone gets on the work out and healthy eating train in January and I am no different. I have stacked on the pounds since the summer. This isn’t about the scales for me. I hate weighing myself. It is about how my clothes feel. Let’s be honest I know that I haven’t been working out enough and have been eating the wrong things. The clock is ticking for me to get back on track or I won’t be able to fit in my skinny jeans! I like the bodycoach cook books. The food is delicious. They recipes are easy and the eating plan works. So I am heading back to this way of eating. AFFILIATE LINK: