If you are having trouble getting your little one to eat some of the big hitter vegetables like kale or any vegetables for that matter this fun Pasta Octopus and Hidden Vegetable sauce kid friendly recipe could be a winner. It has certainly got my four fooled!
I make my sauce in large batches in a slow cooker so this is very simple to prepare in advance and then only takes a short time to prepare on the day.
You will need:
- Spaghetti (dried) around 30-50g per child depending on their size and appetite
- Frankfurters I allow 1-2 per child again depending on their age
- 2 Cans chopped tinned tomatoes
- A large handful of kale
- 2 carrots
- 1 onion
- 1 large courgette
- Low salt beef stock pot
- 2 Cups of water
The sauce ingredients will make enough sauce for several meals and can be added to mince to make a tasty bolognese or chicken for a casserole.
- Take all the vegetables and chop very finely. I use a food processor. The smaller the better to speed up cooking time
- Put chopped veg, tinned tomato, stockpot and water into a large saucepan with a lid or a slow cooker.
- In saucepan cook on low heat and slow cooker on high until veg is very soft
- Use a hand blender or liquidiser to make sauce smooth (unnecessary if your kids don’t mind veg)
- Chop frankfurters into 3 or 4 pieces about 1 inch long
- Push 4 spaghetti through each one until they look like this
- Boil a large saucepan of water and once boiling add in Octopus
- Cook for about 10 mins until pasta is al dente or however your kids like it
- Gentle mix through heated vegetable sauce and serve with grated cheese on top