For #internationaldayofthegirl the theme is kick ass girls you love and I can’t think of any more kick ass girls than my 3 year old twins. Now clearly I am extremely biased. I mean what mother doesn’t think that their girls are kick ass, but still…
Since the day they were born these girls have rocked my world. In fact since the day I found out I was having twins they have blown my mind. Here are just some of the reasons why I think are kick ass:
- They are tough little cookies. Sharing a womb is not an easy thing to do. There are so many things that can go wrong when you are having twins that it is nothing short of a miracle that they managed to be squished in there for 9 months and both be OK
- They know what they want. Even as a newborn one of my little girls was so convinced she knew best that she fought the breathing assistance and managed to burst a lung!!!! Not ideal, but I like someone with the courage of their convictions
- They know how to stand up for themselves. They will not let their brothers always get their own way even though they are double the size of the girls
- They take everything in their stride. I have been worrying about them starting nursery, but they have rocked it
- Their opinions are loud and forceful. They could certainly stand to work on their manners, but I like that they will let me know what they want to wear or question when I ask them to do something that they don’t understand. Respect is important, but so is feeling able to query orders. We can’t just follow blindly.
- Life is a musical… there is a lot of singing and dancing in my life since they came along. They do love to sing and make everything a musical
- They give the best cuddles ever (well alongside their brothers). I love that they just randomly come and cuddle me and tell me they love me
- They are determined. Recently one of them was trying to climb to the top of an inappropriately high climbing frame. I was freaking out, but she was just so determined to do that she kept trying until she nailed it. I have a lot of time for that
- They have overcome challenges in their little lives. One of them was in the NICU when she was born and had a difficult beginning to life, the other has a speech delay and has been struggling with some areas of her development, but they are both pushing forward. They amaze me everyday.
- Despite being twins they have the most fantastic individual personalities which I am loving getting to know
I know that these girls are going to test me probably everyday and I am already thinking I need a hiding place for when the hormones kick in, but I also know that they are going to be strong young women who will try hard and will succeed. I can’t wait to see what happens as they grow up and how their bond as twins and sisters continues to develop. It is fascinating watching their love for one another and competitiveness grow in equal measure. They love each other, they love their brothers and are happy little souls. We love them and they are for sure kick ass girls that I love.