When you are a family of 6 you never pack light, but it is probably the most organised I am all year. Despite the fact that we typically only go to France and they have shops there, I pack like we are going on a military exercise to a remote desert location…. I think that’s my annoying anxiety throwing it’s two pennies worth in as usual! Anyway as I start to prepare for this years holiday and begin the family holiday packing I have decided to do a series of posts about preparing for holiday and travelling with kids. We all know how fun (for fun read awful) it can be getting from A to B with littles in tow so I hope that some of these posts will save your sanity help you to make it without strangling your other half or wishing you had just stayed home!
The posts headed your way include:
Packing for children
Ways to entertain children in the car
As I write each one I will link to back to here so why not bookmark this page and just pop back and check it out. Don’t forget to also check out our top tips for travelling with babies and toddlers with top tips for travelling with babies and toddlers and if you want some practical preparation tips then check out Birds and Lillies post: https://www.birdsandlilies.com/10-travel-preparation-tips-for-your-summer-holiday/
Sophie’s nursery also has some great tips for smart packing
In the meantime here are some of the slightly odd things we bring on holiday that the more sensible among you may choose to leave behind:
- A nespresso machine – I know ridiculous but a girl needs a latte and in the corner of France we frequent that is seemingly not an option
- Aerocino machine – well if you are bringing the nespresso you might as well!
- A spatula – we go to the same place each year and they have everything except this!
- Coffee cups – they only have espresso ones no good for the aforementioned latte
- A personal blender – what? I need to have a smoothie – don’t judge me people.
- Fans – seriously we bring these!
- Sheets – to sleep under. I just like to have my own
- Face creams and body creams galore – I labour under the mistaken impression that I will have time to do all this pampering on holiday. I seem to forget that we are bringing the kids!
- Books for me to read – see above point about mistaken impression!
Now if you are currently thinking ‘what a lunatic’ you wouldn’t be wrong, but this is clearly an inherited gene as my dad wants to pack his ‘air fryer’ in his suitcase this year…. Honestly I don’t think he is joking. Not only is this bonkers it will also mean that he won’t be able to bring clothes…. So if you see a 69 year old straying around the vicinity of Bordeaux wearing nothing but sandals and an air fryer don’t be alarmed he just likes kitchen gadgets!!