We all know that when you are a mom** getting any time for yourself is tricky, but right now it is even harder than ever with kids at home, home schooling and work demands, plus your normal chores all pulling at you from every direction so how can you still take some time for you – with these 11 simple self care ideas for moms we have really quick ways to just take a few minutes for yourself.
Of course if you have more time then you could combine some of the ideas into a self care afternoon, but I am sure that your reality is, just like mine, grabbing a few minutes here and there. Some time is better than none so I hope you enjoy reading and trying these 11 quick self care ideas for moms (or dads of course!)
** actually when you are parent, but being a mom I know my ideas tend to appeal more to women. That isn’t to say that Dad’s don’t need time for themselves too.
Why does self care even matter?
How many times have you thought to yourself I will just sit down and have this coffee only to find said coffee cold hours later? Loads I am willing to bet. We all tend to put our children’s needs and wants in front of our own. That is natural. It is our job to care for and nurture them, but not at the expense of our own sanity. Without taking anytime for yourself you risk burning out, you risk frustration and annoyance at your lot and you risk affecting your own mental health.
Self-care is about maintaining a healthy relationship with yourself and paying attention to your own well being. This isn’t selfish in fact it is the opposite. If you don’t take care of yourself how can you possibly take of anyone else. Have you heard the saying ‘ you can’t pour from an empty vessel? Self care is not selfish!!
We all put energy and effort into building and maintaining relationships with our friends, family and colleagues so why not do the same for ourselves? I am sure if you suspected your child was tired, feeling overwhelmed or feeling down you would check in with them and see what you could do to help. You would encourage a friend struggling with the stresses of home schooling to take some time for herself, but do you do the same for you?
Think about why you encourage your friends, your kids, your partner to take a break, to relax, to have fun and why you think you don’t deserve the same.
Self care matters and not just for you, but so you can be the best version of yourself for those around you.
11 Self Care Ideas for Moms
These 11 self care ideas for moms are all designed to only take a few minutes. To get more daily ideas and tips for self care that can fit into a busy lifestyle then head over to Just15forMe on Instagram which is all about just that.
- Run a bath, add bubbles and a book and take a few minutes to escape the world
- Start a daily gratitude journal. This is the one I use and it is just 5 minutes at the start and the end of the day, but it genuinely has a positive impact on my mindset and attitude
- Light a candle and just watch it flicker… Spend 5 minutes doing nothing, but watching the candle
- Go for a walk and listen to your favourite podcast
- Sit quietly for a few minutes when you first wake up and think about how you feel. Check in with yourself and really think about how you feel. It is ok not to feel ok. Acknowledge your emotions and feelings and then choose to let them go
- Give yourself permission to binge watch your favourite TV show
- Sit in the garden or just by the window – just sit nothing else
- Lie outside and watch the clouds go by (sunny day needed :))
- Diffuse some oils that make you feel good
- Do a homemade face mask (or a shop bought one)
- Write a list of ten things that you are grateful for
What are your favourite things to do that make you feel good and give you a chance to feel reset and ready to take on the world?