Easter and Spring Craft Ideas for Toddlers (and older kids too!)
These Easter and spring craft ideas for toddlers are really easy and take minimal preparation. They can all be done inside so are perfect for when you can’t get out and about or if you are reading this in 2020 for when you are in isolation or on lockdown. Now I cannot promise that the cleaning up is minimal – especially with the painting one, but they do love to get messy so I say old clothes, a painting apron and let them crack on!
For me anything that keeps them occupied and entertained works even if there is a bit of clean up. I should also say that whilst I set these activities up for my toddlers my 6 and 4 year old also joined in and enjoyed it just as much if not more than their sisters.
Egg Vase Table Centre
This makes a great centrepiece for an Easter table if you use a lower profile vase. We have put it in our fireplace as our Easter themed decoration instead of flowers that we usually have there.
You will need:
Polysterene or Wooden Eggs
Paintbrushes or other mark makers
Glitter or Glitter glue
Stick on jewels
- Set up the paint colours. If you don’t want all the eggs to end up brown I would offer only a couple of colours at a time.
- Let the toddlers paint the eggs.
- Sprinkle glitter or put out glitter on a plate and let the toddlers roll the eggs in it. They did love doing this. It created merry carnage on the floor with glitter all over the place, but it is easily hoovered up.
- Dry the eggs. They do dry really quickly, but you can speed up the process with a hairdryer. I use a cooling rack to put them on for drying as this limits the amount of paint that gets wiped off and also they don’t seem to stick whilst drying
- Once dry you can stick on jewels to decorate further
- Pile up the dried eggs in the vase et voila a fab Easter Decoration
Tissue Paper Flowers
What you will need:
To make this simple, yet really effective easter and spring craft for kids you will need a pipe cleaner, a small Pom Pom, tissue paper and scissors
Take a square of tissue paper fold it in half and cut out semi circles so when you open it you would have circles
Cut a small v into the fold
Then wrap the top of the pipe cleaner around the Pom Pom to secure it
Thread the tissue paper onto the pipe cleaner and squeeze each one at the base to give texture. My kids were able to do this. but I just made sure to fold over the ends of the pipe cleaners onto themselves before we started as the wires do tend to stick out and can scratch.
Easter and Spring Craft ideas for toddlers that they can do without help…
You will need:
Plain Card stock and envelopes
- This could not be easier…. Give the toddlers a card, give them some stickers and crayons and let them go wild
- My older boys used the stickers to make pictures on the front of their cards and the toddlers just stuck bunnies everywhere, but all were happy and occupied for at least 30 mins.
You could also just do this as an Easter or spring themed art piece so just give them paper, Easter or spring themed stickers and either crayons or pastels and ask them to create an Easter picture. If you wanted something you can keep afterwards you might think about giving them a small canvas to create their masterpieces on and in that case I would definitely recommend pastels. We have canvas pictures that the kids have created around different themes such as valentines, Christmas, Easter, Spring and Summer and I change them depending on the time of year. That way everyone gets their art on the wall at some point, but my house can stay looking mostly grown up…
Cupcake Case Daffodils
These make a great Easter decoration. I came up with it as a way of using up plastic straws that were lingering at the back of a drawer from a time before I knew they were the devils work (regarding biodegradability). I now don’t want to use them for drinks for fear of ruining the planet so I am using them for crafts which we will be keeping and using each Easter. If you don’t have any plastic straws then please don’t buy any – paper ones work just as well or you could just used rolled card.
What you will need:
Yellow Cupcake cases (although they can be any colour as you can say they are any flower you like)
Green Straws or card rolled to make a stalk
Orange pipe cleaner
- Take two cupcake cases and glue them together so that both sides are coloured
- Cut the orange pipe cleaner into small pieces
- Make a hole in the cupcake cases and push the pipe cleaner through
- Bend over the top of the pipe cleaner so that it isn’t sharp and creates a bit of bulb which looks like the stamen of the flower
- Dip the other end of the pipe cleaner into the PVA and put in into the straw. You may need to bend it over slightly to thicken it up so that the pipe cleaner makes contact with the straw
- Leave to dry and that is it.