I love love love this recipe! It is so simple and yet so very tasty. This used to be my go to lunch when I worked in the city and was trying to be healthy. You can prepare it the night before and then either toast at work if there is a sandwich press or eat cold. Since having the kids I have also introduced these as a healthy snack for days when they have a break before heading out to a physical activity; so when they need a bit more than fruit for an after school snack to bridge the gap between lunch and dinner. This tortilla would also make a great addition to a school lunch box.
What you will need:
*The quantities given are for one person
1 tortilla wrap
I tablespoon of cream cheese (I use a garlic and herb one, but you can use whichever flavour you prefer)
Two slices of good quality ham (it should not be crumbly ham or it won’t roll)
1/4 of a courgette
- Take your courgette and peel off the skin on one side
- Slice a quarter of the courgette into thin slices. I use a cheese slice for this, but you could use a mandolin if you prefer. I am just afraid of mine!
- Lay the courgette slices onto the tortilla, but over to one side so there is room to roll it up
- Place the ham on top, add the tablespoon of cream cheese and use the back of the spoon to spread it out over the ham
- Roll up like a burrito and place in a dry non stick pan (or a sandwich press) with the join of the rolled tortilla facing down
- Leave to brown slightly and then turn over to brown the second side. This takes about a minute or so on each side if the pan is hot.
- Cut into 3 sections and enjoy!
*I don’t add any salt or pepper to this as I am using the flavoured cream cheese, but you might like to
Don’t waste the rest of that courgette – if you peel and chop it you can add it to sauces and it virtually disappears so fussy littles don’t notice it!