Preparing for a covid winter
Every time you turn on the TV or look on the internet at the moment there seems to be nothing, but doom and gloom about the impending winter in the Northern Hemisphere. It is tempting just to hide under a duvet until it is all over, but that isn’t very realistic and so I have decided to look on the bright side and be positive and practical about preparing for a covid winter.
CONTAINS AFFILIATE LINKS
This post isn’t about taking care of your health as whilst this is important, of course, when preparing for a covid winter I am not an expert. If you want to know more about preparing for a covid winter health wise here are some sites I have found useful:
So that is what it isn’t about… This article is all about getting your home and your lifestyle ready for winter. Preparing for a covid winter is, for me, about how to make this tricky time as bearable as possible by changing how we live in our homes and how we think about winter.
As the weather gets colder and the nights draw in it is easy to feel a bit down and to feel like you want to stay inside, but mental health wise this may not be the way to go especially this year with the constant concern and possibility of another lockdown. Of course we all hope that it won’t come to that, but in case it does we want to be prepared.
If you are feeling anxious about the future, as many of us are, then check out our top tips for easing anxiety
How you can prepare for a covid winter by changing your mindset
Take inspiration from our Scandinavian cousins…
It is cold in Scandinavia, really cold and yet they don’t hide away inside all winter. Let’s face it if they did they would spend a lot of time indoors… So instead they take the approach of getting out whenever they can and soaking up any sunlight that does show its face. I recently visited Denmark in December and it was cold, but with the benefit of hygge we were still sitting outside at restaurants drinking hot chocolate or gluhwein and sitting under cosy blankets whilst candles burnt.
We need to change our mindsets and look for the positive whilst preparing for the negative and spinning it to our advantage.
Invest in layers when preparing for a covid winter
The norwegians say ‘there is no such thing as bad weather just bad clothes’ So think about getting those layers on. Silks, long underwear or thermal base layers can make it easier to be outside when it is colder and darker and of course high quality outerwear is key to keeping that wind and rain off you.
Think about outdoorsy activities that you can do
A weekend bike ride with the kids, a game of football in the park or on a sunny day even a picnic can be an option; think cozy blankets on laps and self inflating mats to sit on and insulate bottoms from the floor.
Create an outdoor lounge
I think many of us (lucky enough to have one) have learnt to really appreciate our gardens this year so we thought why stop using it just because winter is coming. In preparing for a covid winter we are planning how we can keep using our garden. So we have made an outdoor lounge area complete with waterproof cushions and the all important fire pit.
The important thing in planning an outdoor area for winter is keeping the weather at bay… A fire pit can really help with the warmth, but if it is windy and raining that won’t be enough to create a lovely space that you want to be outside in during the winter.
I suggest also finding a way to cover the area. We are planning to use a sail shade. This against a fence should give enough shelter along with faux fur blankets and a fire pit to make our outdoor lounge a lovely place to sit and read or have a glass of wine.
- 🌞 [High-end Oxford cloth material]: Made of 100% polyester fiber fabric, with sufficient elasticity, not afraid of tearing, strong water barrier, can withstand 2000MM water pressure, and durable.
- 🌞[Skin Protection]: UPF40+ level, can block more than 95% of harmful ultraviolet rays and protect your skin from harm.
- 🌞[Hardware pull ring]: Exquisite and durable metal pull ring, the size of the pull ring meets the size of all rods in daily life, good control of the tightness, and easy to fix in any desired position.
- 🌞[Wide range of uses]: High cost-effective shade sails are used for garden leisure, field survival training, wind protection measures, terraces, balconies, swimming pools, camping, children’s play, party picnics.
- According to the feedback from some buyers on the use of products, we learned that rain may leak at the seams of the products. First of all, we express our apologies to these buyers! Our products do have seams, as is the design of the product itself. If faced with particularly strong wind and rain, they can't resist strong storms. In the process of using the product, if you encounter any problems, you can contact us. We make a commitment to provide every customer with a perfect solution.
- HIGH QUALITY: Made of 100% polyester fabric with PU coated(160 gsm), more healthy and safe. Resistant to water, tears and adverse weather conditions. Including three pad eyes. Free giving 3*1800D wind ropes (200cm for each), robust sewing processing on each side, stainless steel D ring on each edge, firmly guarantee fastness of installation.
- UV PROTECTION: Up to 98% UV protection and 90% Shading rate. Shade sails will lower the ambient air temperature reducing your properties cooling cost and energy consumption. The savings will pay for the Shade Sail's over time, with the right design.
- WATER RESISTANT: Water-resistant rating: 400mm HH (Water resistant, not waterproof); Air permeable, allowing a constant circulation of fresh air. Simple and safe installation with rope. Suggests that the installation angle is 20-40 degrees, to achieve maximum tension and also to allow rain to runs off. (Installation with hardware kit will be more convenient and stable. Search "B087X3Z1RW" can match shade sail hardware kit)
- EASY TO INSTALLATION: Measure and clean the area where the shade sail is to be installed. Leave an allowance of 1.5-2ft between the fixing point and the shade sail to fit hardware/ hooks or ropes. Curved sides to enhance pull strength and prevent drooping, so the actual shading area would shrink slightly, tolerance 4~6 inches for each side. You could install different shade sails of different colors and sizes to get a larger shading area.
- PRACTICAL & MULTIFUNCTIONAL: Widely used over a patio, lawn, garden, pool, pond, deck, kailyard, courtyard, backyard, dooryard, park, carport, pergola, sandbox, driveway or another outdoor area. Its effectively reducing heat in your outdoor living areas.
- 【Hight-Quality and Anti-Rust】Sun shade sail fixing made of high quality 304 grade stainless steel. Special for outdoor using, more durable and anti-rust, waterproof, rainproof, great material.
- 【High Load Capacity 】High quality stainless steel hardware kit for sun shade sails installation. Heavy Duty Sun Shade Sail is designed for durability and dependability. Heavy duty hardware for securing attaching screen. Holds up very well to weather and high wind.
- 【Adjustable Turnbuckle】Shade sun hardware is easy to install and put the proper tension on the sail. The turnbuckle is adjustable, which makes you easy to tighten or loosen the sun shade. Keeping your sun shade sail from being whisked away by a swift breeze or being rocked by harsh weather conditions.
- 【Easy to Install】You can be used on brick and wood, mount it between trees, wall to wall, wall to tree, great shade for back patio or wherever you want it. Ideal for Outdoor Patio Garden Sun Shade Fixing Accessories.
- 【Package Contains】Bumper x 4pcs, Turnbuckle x 2pcs, Spring Hook x 2pcs, Screw x 16pcs, Plastic plug x 16pcs. This heavy duty hardware kit is recommended for rectangle and square sun shade sail. (WARM TIP: Most of the products on the market are cheap, please pay attention to the size and bearing capacity of the product, and make a wise choice.) If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact us, we will help you immediately.
- High Quality: 185 g/m² high density polyethylene (HDPE) shade fabric with strong stitched seams, tear-proof and weather resistant, anti mildew and mold. Blocks up to 98% harmful UV rays
- Breathable Material: Woven fabric allows cooling breezes and light to pass through and prevents heat accumulation under the sail for a better airy and comfortable space. Also lets the rains pass through, so there is no pooling water(So it's not waterproof)
- Easy to Install: With durable stainless steel D-rings anchored in each corner and 4 free ropes in package help you easily and quikly to install the sail(the curved sides design to distribute the tension and prvent drooping).
- Versatile Shade Solutions: Widely used over patios, gardens, terraces, lawns, pools, chidren's playgrounds, BBQ areas or other outdoor areas when enjoy outdoor gathering time, make your patio privacy safe
- Maintenance & Package Included: Clean with mild detergent or water, do not scrub it with a stiff brush, do not put it in your washing machine, clothes drier. 1* Shade sail ca. 2x3m, Rectangle, 4*1.5m ropes and 1* Manual, and 3 years warranty.
Assuming that regulations allow we will also be able to use this outdoor lounge to socialise with a friend whilst keeping a safe distance and being outdoors.
Think about how and where the children can play
If you have a garden then think about creating them a space that is at least sheltered. This will keep them slightly warmer and will then mean you don’t have to always be standing around in the park when it is freezing. In our small London garden we are turning the playhouse into an mini soft play for the kids complete with an internal climbing wall and punch bag. We want the kids to still be able to be in the garden getting warm through exercise and fun, but without the wind chill…
Odoland 20 Piece Kids Climbing Holds Rock + 40 Piece Nut and Bolt - Load Capacity 200KG Children...
Buy on Amazon
Creating some interest and ways of the kids burning off energy in the garden will also be a huge advantage should we have to face another lockdown or even just prefer to stay at home and mix less with others.
Don’t forget the Lighting
Part of the issue with winter and preparing a for a covid winter where many of the usual places we might go will be off the agenda is the dark. Here is London it is dark by 4:30pm in the middle of winter and so light is vital if you want to be able to enjoy this season. To make your garden or balcony useable a good outdoor light is vital. How cute are these string lights for giving atmosphere and warmth. Add to the fire pit and I am almost looking forward to winter – almost as I love the summer.
|Solar Garden Lights Outdoor, 50 LED 7M/24Ft Solar String Lights Waterproof 8 Modes Indoor/Outdoor...||£12.99||Buy on Amazon|
Embrace getting cozy
If there was ever a time that not being able to go to many places could be embraced it is when preparing for a covid winter. We may get restricted again and we may not be able to socialise much or visit some of the indoor locations we may have done in previous years so lets be positive about taking time to have family movie nights and sleep more whilst still getting outside just as much as we can.
Flowers flowers everywhere
This summer planting lots of flowers really cheered up the days of lockdown so if you have anywhere that you can plant flowers then I totally recommend doing it. There are lots of flowers that will continue to bloom throughout the colder months in the UK so get yourself some pansies, jasmine, Cyclamen and heather are just a few great examples which are easy to grow and give a gorgeous injection of colour to brighten up even the darkest winter day.
I am actually looking forward to taking the opportunity to use the garden more throughout the winter months. Preparing for a covid winter and staying home more to stay safe may not be so bad after all. There are uncertain times ahead that is for sure, but by being positive and preparing for a covid winter the only way I can I can remain hopeful. I am definitely not writing off winter just yet!
Last update on 2020-11-25 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API