This recipe for homemade bread can be done completely by hand so very little equipment is needed and that also makes it a great recipe to try with kids. They will love the kneading of the dough and making individual bread rolls, but you can also make a loaf using this recipe.
You will need:
(We doubled up this recipe as I have 4 kids who all wanted their own bowl to mix and so we made both rolls and a loaf)
500g/ 1lb of strong white bread flour
25g/ 1oz butter
1 tsp salt
1 sachet of fast action yeast (7g sachet)
300ml/ 10floz warm water
2 tsp sugar (this gives a thicker crust and changes the flavour, but is optional. We didn’t include the sugar and it still tasted great)
- Mix together the flour and salt (and sugar if you are using) in a large bowl
- Rub in the butter
- Stir in the water and mix it together to make a soft dough. You will need to get hands in there at this point to ensure that it all comes together
- Once you have a ball of dough you you need to knead it for about 10 – 15 minutes. You can use your electric mixer with the dough hook for this if you prefer, but if you are baking with kids then I would let them go crazy here.
- Shape into rolls or into a loaf. For a loaf I use a tin and grease it before putting the dough in.
- Once you have your rolls or loaf shaped then cover with a damp, clean tea towel and leave in a dark, warm place for 1.5hrs to prove. It will double in size.
- Uncover and bake in an oven preheated to 230 degrees C. It will take approximately 30 – 35 minutes.
- When you take it out and tap the bottom it should sound hollow – if not it isn’t ready
- EAT IT!!